Monday, October 20, 2014

Remembering How Lucky We Are





I know this may come to a surprise, but sometimes I need to remind myself that not everyone gets to do what I have been able to do and just how lucky I have been in my life. I've grown up with enough food on the table and clothes to wear. I've had access to good schools and have my Masters degree. I have had the opportunity to travel the United States and different parts of the world. I have a family in both Zambia and America. I am a female in a place where gender inequality is slight compared to others. I am white, and with that comes certain privileges whether we like it or not. I have 2 of the best and most supportive parents and 2 of the kind of siblings that I am proud to call my brother and sister. They make me want to be a better person because they have accomplished so much and are so compassionate. I also have an awesome dog, which is pretty great. My family not only puts up with but also encourages all of my crazy dreams. I have the kind of friends that don't mind when I disappear for a few months and welcome me back with open arms (I am so grateful for this because everyone knows how bad I am with long distance friendships). Basically, I am so fortunate. What a life.

In Uganda, you can get bogged down on the difficult things. Oh no we only have tomatoes..what are we going to eat? Yikes that water is cold, this is the most uncomfortable shower ever! My best friend in country is an hour motorcycle ride and four hour squished bus or mini-bus ride away. But hold on look out the window that view is beautiful! I get to walk to work, where if I see more than 7 motorcycles go past me I wonder what the heck is going on. I am surrounded by joyous children and I am in a place where I can learn so much. Lucky, right?

Anyway, this was not at all what I wanted to write this blog about. My inspiration came from something much more superficial, I hate to say. It came from going on 2 safaris. I had the privilege to tag along with Jenny and Grace, 2 amazing girls that came to volunteer at Nyaka for a few days, and go to Queen Elizabeth National Park. We went on a 2 morning game drives and an afternoon boat safari. We saw tons of animals; warthogs, elephants, antelope, birds, crocodiles, hippos, more birds and a tree climbing lion. Apparently, Queen Elizabeth National Park is one of the few places in the world with tree climbing lions.
A few weeks later I had the opportunity to go on a vacation with 3 of my friends here to Murchison Falls National Park and the Ziwa Rhino Reserve. We got to see these beautiful waterfalls, sleep and have a hippo wake us up at night and warthogs roam the camp. We also got to go on safaris both boat and in a car. We saw antelope, giraffes, elephants, hippos, warthogs, birds etc.

Now, I know this may seem crazy but by the end of the safari I found myself thinking things like “oh great, another hippo” or “how much longer do you think this is going to be we've seem all of these animals”. When did seeing these animals become common place. How silly is it that this is what I felt. People in Uganda haven't seen the places that I just have seen within their own country (I suppose the same thing goes for tourists who come to the US). How many people would do just about anything to experience what I just got to experience? Sometimes I can forget just how lucky I am. One thing that I am going to try and work on this year is to be more present and appreciate everything around me. Realize how lucky I am. I think it is something that everyone should do.


No comments:

Post a Comment