Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Rain is Coming!

Now that we are nearing the end of August rainy season is beginning in this wonderful land of Kambuga. Apparently, I have no idea what is in store for me. I am just waiting to find out.

With rainy season there comes different sorts of challenges which you may expect. But before I get into this let me tell you a bit about how I think rainy season works. There is no rhyme or reason. It is sunny for 5 days then rains for 3 then partially rains for 1 then sunny, then rainy then sunny then a little rain etc... There are a few different types of rains. The sky being like “look at me. It sounds like I am going to rain and it looks like I will rain as well but...tricked ya not today dude.” The “light” rain that never ends or the wicked hard pouring buckets wind gusting rain coming through the open windows kind of rain. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I think the last one has been the most common so far.

Esther and I decided to start a garden, we dug our beds planted out seeds. A few days later there was a huge down pour, I am pretty sure that the seeds were washed away. This was over a week ago and there is still no signs of little seedlings. Bummer dude. I should have used my Zambian garden knowledge and protected it with grass until they took root. Oh well we will have to try again with the seeds we have left and buy a few more. I want my garden! The rains won't defeat me at that.

come on garden i want veggies
 
Walking. Yes something as simple as walking is a challenge. As I mentioned in the last post, it is hilly here. 
you can sort of see the road in the top of the picture


Going to the library (I usually go during the work week as it has internet and electricity) I must walk down a few very steep hills and up one steep hill. Roads here are made of mud, when mud gets wet it gets slick. Walking down slick mud can be treacherous. For most of the road it is a decision of whether you want to risk going down the slick piece or put your feet in the muddy area covering your feet with mud but knowing that the chances of slipping are much smaller if your foot is surrounded by that much mud (I usually choose the later option). There is also the trouble with the mud getting caked in the soles of your shoes so any traction that was there is gone. However, on another part of the road a different option presents itself. Here rocks are abundant.
 
 By rocks I mean sharp, jagged protrusions that are a nice place to butt your foot up against because falling backwards is not really an option but one misstep and believe me you can feel the rock through the sole of your shoe. I can only imagine what the damage that my shoes will take after the 2 rainy seasons (yes there are 2 per year). Also, so far, I have remained standing and clean after a few close calls.

For me the most frustrating part of rainy season for me, is being trapped somewhere, be that at work, on someone's verandah, under a tree or in a vehicle (although when the vehicle you are in has no windshield wipers I dont seem to mind it so much) waiting for the rain to pass. Sometimes after work all I want to do is go home relax and cook dinner. However, I think that this is the time the skies decide to open and encourage me to enjoy the company I am with. Sometimes this is easier said than done.
 


Waiting for the rain to end while in a vehicle.  Making friends.
its pouring out!
I also feel the urges whenever I hear thunder to get up and start walking home when it is close to leaving time but my co-workers just sit and wait to see if it rains, if it does its no big deal they will just sit and sit until it ends. They are so patient. On the other hand I get all antsy just wanting to leave. I blame the Americaness in me.

Oh and it doesn't help when you're electricity is solar and it begins raining all day. You all can figure out why.

However, the smell, the life that the rain brings, the bonding you get to do while all huddled into a small space not getting wet. The comforting sound when you are safe in your home of the rain hitting your roof while you are all cuddled up. The excuse to do nothing and be in your pajamas on a weekend day is almost irresistible. The candle lit dinners without power and the early bed times because you can. The nice security guard who sees my clothes drying on the line, takes them down, folds them and puts them in a bucket protected from the rain on my verandah. The rain is good.

As much as we all complain about the weather (its to hot, to humid, to cold, where is the sun?, too much rain, not enough rain) I realize that weather like all things in life just needs to be appreciated for what it is. Nothing more or nothing less.

Rain is good.



Some pictures for your enjoyment:







What I see while walking to work.



mmmm i want to eat you






Fresh lettuce and cilantro while visiting a friend in Mbarara.  You have no idea how exciting this is!






No comments:

Post a Comment