Monday, January 12, 2015

Carrots, Beets, Spinach, Watermelon.

Who knew that carrots, beets, spinach and watermelon could make you feel so good? Well I suppose I did. I knew that creating your own garden, tending to it and then reaping the fruits of it feels amazing. In Zambia and in Uganda it turned into way to see that yes, I am doing something even if it is just growing vegetables. It is a way to fill up the times when I have nothing to do. It is a reminder every time I can go to my garden and pick something to eat how the small things can give you so much joy.

But there are two reasons that gardening is even more rewarding. One is proving that yes, I know how to dig and plant and weed and water and harvest. It is something that people in the West and women can do. I will admit that I do feel a twinge of pride when they are surprised that american, especially a girl, can garden. It gives me and the community members something to connect on. I am also able to show them that although I may do things a little differently, like not sprinkling seeds everywhere but putting them in a row, or not digging the same way they do that we are able to get the same results. I also enjoy proving people wrong, which doesn't always happen. “Ellen you are wasting your time carrots don't grow here.” Unfortunately, or fortunately they do proven by the2 dozen carrots that I have already eaten or the beets and watermelon that are currently growing in my garden.

I think my most favorite part is when I am able to share the fruits of my garden with my friends here. Their astonishment that I have grown so much that I have extra being someone who “doesn’t know how to garden”. I am also able to provide the families with something different from what they are able to grow because I am able to take the risks and grow something that may not grow well. My diet does not depend on my garden.

However, gardening is dirty and I have the ability to get myself really dirty...and hand washing those clothes are no fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment